.jump-link{ display:none }

Saturday 21 August 2010

The Danson Family - in a Shoebox

My grandfather William Danson sent this card from Flanders on 8th August 1917 to my mother  at 2 Bull Street, Poulton-le-Fylde, Lancashire.   His message read  "Dear Kathleem, I am sending you a card and hope you like it.  I am in the pink.  Look after mother and baby.  From your Dad.

The fun I have had from Family History began at a young age.  In a cupboard by the fireplace in my grandfather's house in Poulton-le-Fylde, near Blackpool was an old shoebox full of family photographs.  It was a great treat if I was allowed to look through them, particularly the First World War embroidered cards sent back by my grandfather to his family.  My grandfather William Danson was one of eight surviving brothers, five of whom served in the army and formed part of this photographic collection.  The one picture that attracted my best attention was a striking one of my great grandmother Maria Rawcliffe, and I soon began weaving stories around her.  (More of her later! ) 

I moved away from Poulton-le-Fylde when I was thirteen, but I had always been fascinated with history and over many years I have had such pleasure in discovering the story of my ancestors.  I look forward to sharing my experiences through this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.