.jump-link{ display:none }

Sunday 16 January 2011

A Wartime Telegram - Sentimental Sunday



My parents - John & Kathleen Weston during the war.

I came across this telegram whilst sorting through papers following the deaths of my father and mother, John and Kathleen Weston nee Danson.   I love the design and the message, with the frank on the reverse showing it was sent on December 31st 1941.  

My father was then serving in the Codes and Cipher Branch of the Ministry of Defence in Whitehall, London and had witnessed the Battle of Britain over London earlier in the autumn of 1941.

For his granddaughter, he wrote  of his wartime experiences in "Family Recollections" and very movingly I discovered a series of letters, still in their envelopes,  exchanged between my parents throughout the war.

A great source of stories for further blog postings, so watch this space!    
******



Sentimental Sunday  is a daily prompt from http://www.geneabloggers.com/, used by many bloggers to help them tell stories of their ancestors.

Copyright © 2011 · Susan Donaldson.  All Rights Reserved


 

3 comments:

  1. Just found your blog from some of the daily blogging prompts at Geneabloggers.

    What a lovely job you are doing with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever seen a telegram decorated like this. Most of the older ones I've seen are yellow or white, or even sort of brown, but nothing like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re your comments about the decorated telegram, I wonder if this was a special issue for Christmas/New Year or given, its patriotic theme with the royal standard and country emblems, was it a special issue for the armed forces? Something I must research! Susan.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.